13 Oct Blue Demons in Search of Fourth-Straight Win
CHICAGO – DePaul women’s soccer hosts the Xavier Musketeers on Thursday, Oct. 14 for a 3 p.m. kick off at Wish Field in Chicago. The Blue Demons are coming off three-straight BIG EAST wins over Villanova, Seton Hall and UConn. Thursday’s match will be broadcast live on the BIG EAST Digital Network on FloSports presented by SoFi.
The Blue Demons and Musketeers have squared off seven times, with the Blue Demons claiming four wins. However, the last matchup between the sides ended in a 3-2 OT win for the Musketeers at Wish Field back on March 28, earlier this year. Xavier has been cruising so far this fall, posting a BIG EAST-best 5-1 record in conference play. The Musketeers own a 12-1-1 overall record and have won four matches in a row.
The NCAA RPI, a key ranking metric that serves as a predictor for the NCAA Tournament, is released weekly. DePaul ranks eighth among BIG EAST squads in RPI, coming in at number 112 in the nation. Xavier ranks first in the conference at 10th in the nation while Butler comes in at 47.
BIG EAST STANDINGS
DePaul sits in sixth place in the BIG EAST after five games played this fall. The Blue Demons have totaled nine points and are just one point away from the third-place Butler Bulldogs. Meanwhile, Xavier holds a 5-1 conference record and sits atop the standings.
MORE FROM MORGAN
Graduate student Morgan Turner has led the Blue Demon offense this fall, tallying a team-high nine goals. Turner has 31 career goals as a Blue Demon and has moved into fourth-place all-time. Turner’s hat trick versus Villanova was the second of her career. Turner scored twice in the Blue Demons win on Thursday over Seton Hall. DePaul has posted a 17-1-1 record during Turner’s career in matches that the forward has found the back of the net. With five goals in conference play this season, Turner leads the BIG EAST in conference scoring. Turner has three more goals in BIG EAST action than any other player in the league.
DEPAUL ALL-TIME GOAL SCORERS
- 1. Elise Wyatt (2012-15) 35
- 2. Franny Cerny (2015-18) 33
- 3. Julianne Stich (2002-05) 32
- 4. Morgan Turner (2017-present) 31
- 5. Abby Reed (2014-16) 28
- Xavier holds the best RPI ranking of any BIG EAST squad, coming in at 10 in the nation. The Musketeers are 5-1 in BIG EAST action and hold a 12-1-1 overall record. Xavier’s lone defeat came at the hands of No. 25 Georgetown.
- Following another 2-0 weekend for Xavier women’s soccer, a pair of Musketeers earned weekly honors from the BIG EAST office. Chloe Netzel was named BIG EAST Freshman of the Week while Grace Brauer earned a spot on the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll, the league announced on Monday.
- Netzel, a freshman forward from St. Louis, played a part in both game-winning goals for the Musketeers last week, assisting on Ella Rogers’ game winner against St. John’s on Thursday, before scoring the game-winning goal in the 12th minute of a 4-0 victory at Seton Hall on Sunday.
For all of the latest on DePaul Women’s Soccer, stay tuned to depaulbluedemons.com and follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
Credit: Source link