13 Oct Final Two Home Matches Set For Homecoming Weekend
SAN JOSE, Calif. – San Jose State women’s soccer is set to host their final two home matches of the 2021 season this week and will do so against two of the best teams in the Mountain West. The Spartans host New Mexico, currently tied at the top of the Mountain West standings with 13 points on Thursday before San Diego State, ranked third in the standings with 12 points, comes to town for a Sunday afternoon match in what will serve as SJSU’s Senior Day. The Spartans will honor their seniors in an on-field ceremony prior to kickoff, which is set for noon.
- With five regular-season matches remaining, every point is crucial for the Spartans as they look to qualify for the Mountain West Championship Tournament. SJSU is currently in a three-way tie for fourth with Utah State and Colorado State with nine points. Both opponents this weekend rank ahead of the Spartans (New Mexico – 13 pts, SDSU – 12 pts).
- Freshman midfielder Taylor Phillips continues to impress week in and week out. She currently is tied for seventh in the MW with four goals on the year, and is tied for third with three goals in league play. She is also tied for third with eight points in conference play (3 goals, two assists).
- Phillips has 11 points on the season (four goals, three assists) – the most by a Spartan since Jamilecxth Becerra’s 12 in 2018. Her four goals and 11 points are the most by a Spartan Freshman since Darriell Franklin in 2015 (9 goals, 20 points).
- New Mexico is currently tied at the top of the Mountain West standings with a 4-1-1 mark in league play and 9-3-1 overall record. After a 4-0 start to league play, the Lobos were set back last weekend with a 1-1 tie at Nevada before suffering their first defeat at the hands of 2-1 final against UNLV in Vegas.
- The Lobos are led by seventh-year head coach Heather Dyche and feature one of the best offenses in the Mountain West. They currently lead the conference with 28 goals (2.15 per game). Three Lobos currently rank in the top five in goals scored on the year – Zaria Katesigwa (8), Jadyn Edwards (7) and Molly Myers (7).
- The Spartans hold the overall lead in the series at 7-3-3 and are 2-1-1 in games played in San Jose. However the Lobos came up victorious in the last meeting – a 1-0 win in overtime in the 2019 MW Tournament.
- The Aztecs of San Diego State are currently third in the MW Standings with 12 points and a 4-2-0 record. They are coming off a 1-1 weekend in which the split road games at UNLV (W, 1-0 in OT) and Nevada (L, 2-3).
- Led by 15th-year head coach Mike Freisen, the Aztecs rank just about the Spartans with 14 total goals on the year. Freshman midfielder has been among the best players in the league with eight goals on the year, tying for the MW lead.
- San Diego State holds the lead in the all-time series history with a 14-2-2 mark. The Aztecs have won the last four meetings dating back to 2018. San Jose State’s last win was a 4-0 final in San Jose on Oct. 2, 2016.
Credit: Source link