09 Oct PREVIEW: Women’s Soccer Welcomes Stony Brook for Sunday Matinee
ORONO, Maine — The University of Maine women’s soccer team will return to Mahaney Diamond for an American East Conference matchup against Stony Brook on Sunday at 12 p.m.
DATE: Sunday, Oct. 10, 2021
TIME: 12:00 p.m.
SITE: 2021 RECORDS: Maine 2-5-2, Stony Brook 5-6-1
LIVE STATS: goblackbears.com
The Black Bears are 5-10-1 all-time against the Seawolves. Stony Brook defeated Maine 3-1 in Stony Brook during conference play in the 2020-21 season.
The Black Bears have lost their last three matches against the Seawolves. Maine’s last victory came in 2017, winning 1-0 at home in Orono.
Maine is 3-3 at home against Stony Brook.
Black Bear Notes and Notables
- The Black and Blue are looking to get back into the playoffs for the 14th time in the last 19 seasons. Maine is led by 10 seniors and one graduate student.
- Five freshmen and one transfer junior joined the Black Bears this fall – Abby Kraemer, Olivia Bammel, Elle Vermilya, Melina Peloteau, and Myla Schneider. Halle Rogers rounds off the newcomers as a transfer from Xavier.
- Maine has lost four conference matchups, falling to UAlbany 1-0 last Sunday. The Black Bears lost to Vermont 2-0 at home and NJIT on the road 1-0. Maine lost 1-0 to UMBC in their conference opener.
- Delaney Labonte scored her second goal of the season in Maine’s 1-1 tie against Marist.
- Emma Donovan scored her first goal of the season in Maine’s 4-1 loss against Quinnipiac.
- Abby Kraemer and Kayla Kraemer both scored their first career goals in Maine’s season opening 2-0 victory over Sacred Heart.
- Tiana Bucknor scored her first career goal in the Black Bears’ 1-1 tie at Merrimack College.
- Senior Julia Mahoney (Saint-Augustin-de-
Desmaures, Québec) comes into the season with 14 career points. Seniors Emma Donovan (Québec City, Québec) and Hannah Bamford (Rochester, New Hampshire) both enter the 2021 campaign with six career points.
- Kutziniski (Bünde, Germany), started six games last season, brings her 1.54 GAA from last season back to the pitch in Orono.
A Bit About the Seawolves
· Stony Brook went 6-4 in the 2020-2021 season, winning the America East Tournament title.
· The Seawolves beat Vermont 3-1 in the semifinals and toppled Binghampton 1-0 to win the tournament and an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.
· Stony Brook lost 5-1 to Ohio State in the opening round.
· The Seawolves return Chelsie DePointe, who was selected to the America East First Team All-Conference List and the All-Region team in the 2020-21 season. They are led by two graduate students and four seniors.
About Head Coach Scott Atherley
Now in his 29th season as a head coach in the NCAA, Scott Atherley is entering his 23rd season as the Maine women’s soccer program’s head coach.
Atherley has led the Black Bears 13 of the last 18 America East postseason tournaments.
In 1993, Atherley became head coach of the UMaine men’s team and took on head coaching duties of the women’s team in 1999, coaching both squads that year.
Atherley was a four-year letter-winner at UMaine between 1984 and 1987, serving as captain during his final season.
Credit: Source link