15 Sep Soccer preview: Samford – University of Texas Athletics
Match 8: Samford (3-2-2) at Texas (2-3-2)
Time: Thursday, Sept. 16 – 7 p.m. CT
Location: Austin, Texas (Mike A. Myers Soccer Stadium)
Tickets: Admission is FREE for all fans
TEXAS CLEAR BAG POLICY: Please note that there is a Clear Bag Policy in effect for fans when attending Texas Athletic events. For more details, please visit this LINK
Live Stats: LINK
TV: The match will be broadcast live on Longhorn Network and can be watched online through this LINK.
- Texas assistant coach Ben Munger will be facing off against his former team on Thursday. In his lone season at Samford as an assistant coach, during the COVID-19 pandemic-affected split 2020-21 campaign, Munger helped guide the Bulldogs to an 8-2-3 overall record. In charge of training goalkeepers, he tutored All-SoCon First Team net minder Morgan McAslan, who finished the regular season with a 0.87 GAA and seven shutouts.
- Texas will be facing off against Samford for the third time in program history with the Longhorns holding a 2-0-0 series lead (both wins in Austin). UT took the last meeting between the two teams back on Sept. 6, 2013, 2-0.
- Texas enters Thursday needing just one more win to reach 300 all-time program victories. The Longhorns overall record is currently 299-202-55 (.587).
- Following her four-goal performance against UTRGV (Sept. 12), Texas freshman midfielder Lexi Missimo was named to the Top Drawer Soccer National Team of the Week (Honorable Mention) and picked up her second straight nod as the Big 12 Conference’s Freshman of the Week (Sept. 14).
- Lexi Missimo now owns an impressive nine career goals, five career assists and 23 career points over her first 10 collegiate matches after her school-record-tying four-goal outburst against UTRGV on Sept. 12. She’s currently tied with former Longhorns All-American Kelly Wilson (2001) for the most goals by a freshman after her first 10 collegiate matches in school history.
- Texas freshman forward Trinity Byars finally broke the seal by scoring her first goal at the 60:41 mark of the 7-0 rout of UTRGV (Sept. 12). The Richardson, Texas, native also added two assists for a career-high four points.
- Texas senior defender Emma Regan has been voted as one of the team leaders for a reason. It’s because she provides a consistent presence in the Longhorns backline. The Burnaby, British Columbia, native has played in Texas’ last 47 matches and is riding a streak of 43 consecutive starts dating back to Oct. 25, 2018. For her career, Regan has played in 53 total matches with 52 starts. As a freshman in 2018, she missed numerous matches due to a Team Canada call-up for senior-level international duty at the CONCACAF Women’s Championship.
- Julia Grosso usually makes her shots on goal count. Since the start of the 2019 season, Grosso has scored 16 goals on her last 45 shots on frame (36% shot efficiency).
Credit: Source link