22 Oct Women’s Soccer Wraps Up Regular Season Road Slate at Iona
GAME 15: Niagara (12-3, 6-2) at Canisius (9-7-0, 4-4-0)
NIAGARA UNIVERSITY, NY – Niagara women’s soccer will travel to Iona for its final road game of the regular season Saturday at noon in New Rochelle, N.Y. The Purple Eagles are coming off a 3-2 come-from-behind win against Canisius on Wednesday and are currently riding a three-game win streak.
• Niagara is 4-1 over Iona in the last five meetings between the Gaels and Purple Eagles.
• The last time the Purple and White were in New Rochelle, NY they earned a 3-0 result. Annie Ibey and Ida Miceli found the back of the net in the win.
• Florence Vaillancourt leads the team with 11 goals, 10 assists and 32 points. She is second in the MAAC in goals and first in assists and total points.
• Vaillancourt is one of the most prolific scorers in the nation. The junior currently ranks 17th in goals (0.79), seventh in assists (0.71) and third in points per game (2.29), while also ranking sixth in game-winning goals (5) and second in shot accuracy (.730).
• Djeynaba Thiam scored twice in the team’s win over Canisius and now has eight goals and six assists on the season.
• Maia MacLean added two assists to her season total and now has six assists to go along with seven goals and 20 points.
• Freshman Felicia Grufman is the team’s primary goalie of late, starting each of the last four games. On the year she has a goals-against-average of 1.22 and a save percentage of .721.
• Niagara has nine players with multiple goals after Emma Bough scored the game-winner Wednesday night at Canisius for her second goal of the season.
• Niagara leads the MAAC in multiple statistical categories, including assists (2.80), points (8.27) and shots on goals per game (9.00). The Purple Eagles are also first in shot accuracy (.560), scoring offense (2.73), total assists (42), total goals (41) and total points (124).
• The Gaels are coming off a win over Quinnipiac on Wednesday and are currently 4-4-0 in league play.
• Iona is led by Kedarjah Lewis who has five goals, followed by Faith Preziosi with four. Preziosi is also the team’s leader in assists with six.
• Iona has had four goalies appear in games this season, led by Emma Havrilla whose played a team-high 14 matches. She has goals against an average of 1.63 and a save percentage of 0.716.
• The top-eight seeds in the MAAC will advance to the women’s soccer championship. Competition to determine the league’s automatic qualifier to the NCAA Tournament will begin on Sunday, Oct. 31.
• Niagara (6-2-0) is currently sitting in third place in the MAAC behind Monmouth (6-1-1) and Quinnipiac (6-2-0). The Bobcats have the tiebreaker over the Purple and White after defeating Niagara 2-1 on Sep. 29.
• The Purple Eagles have made the MAAC postseason in each of the last four seasons.
• Niagara will wrap up the 2021 regular season with a 3 p.m. tilt with Marist on Wednesday, Oct. 27
Credit: Source link